The virus is not circulating in Malawi right now. However, there are simple everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses:
- Avoid close contact with people who are visibly sick with flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, sneeze).
- Wash your hands adequately with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol- based hand rub.
- Avoid unprotected close contact with anyone developing cold or flu-like symptoms;
You can reduce your chances of being infected or spreading COVID-19 by taking some simple precautions:
- Regularly and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water or if available use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Stay at least 1 meter (3 feet) away from anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Make sure you cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
- Stay home if you feel unwell. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention by calling toll free number 54747.
- Keep up to date on the latest COVID-19 hot spots and avoid traveling to such places
Produced by Health Education Services of the Ministry of Health