9 Tips to Stay Safe During Rainy Season
Join U-Report Malawi now!
- Listen to early warning messages and news about floods on radio and TV.
- When you see flood warning signs such as long rainfall and rising water levels in lakes & rivers, move to higher grounds or other safer places immediately.
- Parents, teach your children the dangers of playing or crossing floodwaters.
- Avoid waterways and other areas that are known to flood suddenly. Flash floods can occur in these areas without warning.
- Do not walk through moving water. Six inches of moving water can make you fall. Walk where the water is not moving and use a stick to check the depth.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters and electrical wires during floods.
- Even if it looks clean, water can contain cholera germs. Drink water that is boiled or treated with chlorine. Store drinking water in a clean covered container. Learn more about cholera.
- Keep your birth certificates, National IDs, school certificates and other important documents in plastic bags.
- Sign up for Emergency Alerts. You can enroll in U-Reports emergency preparedness hotline by enrolling as a U-Reporter. Follow the link below to learn how or text JOIN to 1177.
© The Internet of Good Things